Monday, February 18, 2013

Creativity & Charity

I fiddled with the corner of the crisp white page. The paragraph had struck me hard, so hard that I had to read it again, then try to continue reading when all I could think about was the paragraph at the top of the page.


"Despite feeling overhwlmed and shamed at my ignorance [about HIV/AIDS], I decided it would be worse to curl up and forget about it than just dive in - ignorance and all. I could not imagine having to tell my children in thirty years, after my generation has handed this mess to them, 'Oh, yeah, I guess I did hear something about that back then, but I never did anything about it.'" - Shayne Moore, Global Soccer Mom



She was onto something. I've been surrounded lately by friends having babies. It's about that time in my life when people start spouting out the little ones. I'm not pregnant and don't plan on being too soon, but children are certainly, Lord willing, in my future. Consequently, nearly every time that I interact with a friend that has a newborn, I ask myself if I'll be a good mom. It's a legitimate question; one that I'm sure every woman with or without a child asks herself. We want to be good moms. But what does that mean?


To be honest, I don't really know. I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life asking myself that question. But I do know one thing that I want to be for my kids: an example. I want for my kids to see me actively fighting for the poor and the weak and the infringed. To tell them to love the least of these, but to not do it myself would be fraud. It would be a waste of their time. I want to leave a legacy for my kids to love those that are in need, to reach out, to think outside of themselves. I don't want to tell them that we could have done something, but instead we did nothing.


This is one of the reasons why I've started this business. Creativity and charity are quickly becoming my dual passions. My heart starts to beat a little faster each time I hear about a business creating while giving. It just sounds so much like our God: a Creator and a Giver.


What do you think? How can you ensure a legacy to your kids that you helped those who most needed help?

No comments:

Post a Comment